CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Greener Life

Thanks to the increasing cost of fresh organic vegetables, and our obligation to do our part to make the planet a greener, cleaner place to live... Nick and I have decided to start our own organic garden!
Besides just making environmentally responsible choices, we're super excited about our garden because we love fresh vegetables. Nick is a vegetarian and I have cut way back on red meat (I eat chicken and fish occasionally, but I've been 100% vegetarian off and on over the years), but besides that we both just really love veggies. Not to mention that you can't get a good ear of sweet corn in Utah, so why not just grow our own??
This weekend we (well, Nick) designated a plot, dug it out, and laid wood beams down as the border. We got organic (no fertilizer! 100% natural cow manure! Yum!) soil, and to save on cost, decided to start all our veggies from seed.

A Fun List of Vegetables and herbs that hopefully we'll have within the next few months:

  • Heirloom tomatoes
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Basil
  • Sweet corn
  • Green beans
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Mesclun greens
  • Lavender
  • Chives
  • Artichokes
  • Bell peppers
  • Zucchini
  • Parsley
  • Collard greens
  • Eggplant
  • Onions
  • Swiss chard
  • Cilantro
  • Dill
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
I am so excited about this project. I love to garden but haven't had much chance the past few years... This will be a nice opportunity to get my hands in the dirt and learn a little about gardening. It will be interesting, for sure, especially since we're starting everything from seed!
Also, everyone knows I like to cook... I cannot tell you how stoked I am to be able to make a huge pot of Sunday Gravy with homegrown organic tomatoes, onions, peppers, and basil. Um, can you get any closer to heaven than that???

Pictures coming soon!!!!!!!

0 comments: